A disbarred Florida attorney who participated in a $28.3 million Medicare fraud scheme involving false claims for physical and occupational therapy services was recently sentenced in federal court in Tampa to 70 months in prison, the Justice Department announced.
Margarita Grishkoff, formerly of southwest Florida, initially pleaded guilty on January 24 to conspiracy to commit health care fraud. In addition to her prison term, U.S. District Judge Susan C. Bucklew of the Middle District of Florida sentenced the 60-year old to three years of supervised release and ordered her to pay $14,424,856 in restitution, jointly and severally with her co-conspirators.
Grishkoff, who is currently a resident of Charlotte, North Carolina, acknowledged in her guilty plea that approximately $28.3 million in fraudulent claims were submitted to Medicare by her and the scheme’s co-conspirators. Medicare paid approximately $14.4 million of those claims, which were made through physical therapy clinics throughout Florida from 2005 through 2009.
Court documents reveal that Grishkoff, who was disbarred in Florida in 1997, was vice president and director for Ulysses Acquisitions Inc., a Delaware holding company that purchased several comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation clinics and physical therapy providers to gain control of Medicare provider numbers. These clinics included: West Coast Rehab Inc. in Fort Myers; Rehab Dynamics Inc. in Venice; Polk Rehabilitation Inc. in Lake Wales; and Renew Therapy Center of Port St. Lucie LLC in Port St. Lucie.
The Justice Department also said that Grishkoff and her co-conspirators paid kickbacks to patient recruiters and clinic owners to get identifying information of Medicare beneficiaries and physicians. They subsequently took this information to create and submit false claims to Medicare through the clinics Ulysses Acquisitions owned. Claims for reimbursement were made on therapy services that were not legitimately prescribed or actually provided.
But it didn’t end there. Grishkoff and her co-conspirators used the clinics they controlled to submit false reimbursement claims on behalf of other clinics not owned by Ulysses, in exchange for a percentage of the Medicare reimbursement received.
These Miami-based therapy clinics included: Hallandale Rehabilitation Inc., Tropical Physical Therapy Corporation, American Wellness Centers Inc., and West Regional Center Inc. According to court documents, Grishkoff and her co-conspirators kept approximately 20 percent of the fraud proceeds and paid the remaining 80 percent to the co-conspirator clinic owners. Grishkoff further admitted that she arranged sham sales of her clinics to nominee or straw owners to disassociate herself and Ulysses Acquisitions from the fraudulent scheme. Those new owners were recent immigrants with no background or experience in the health care industry.